(worth more than $1000 if purchased individually)
Hamba Kahle Madiba
This is an annual international day on Mandela’s birthday, on 18 July, adopted by the United Nations. Individuals, communities and organisations are asked to donate 67 minutes to doing something for others, commemorating the 67 years that he gave to the struggle for social justice. Why not join this celebration of Peace by finding an activity to donate 67 minutes to others…and then share it by posting it on this page ?
Children can also learn more about Mandela when presented with these Free MontessoriHelper “Mandela Day” Printables.
It’s our way of promoting the Montessori Philosophy of Peace Education.
Keep promoting Peace
Feel free to Share below what you did to donate 67 minutes to doing something for others…
To get your downloadable PDF all you need to do is :
=> Right Click on the image above
=> Download the Materials
Size: Each Page is A4 in size and has two nomenclatures per page
Number of Pages : 30
Age : 3 to 9
Instructions for use :
- Download the Montessori Nomenclature PDF file from your MemberZone to your PC and then print it out.
- Once you have printed the Montessori Nomenclature Cards, then cut them along the perforated lines.
- For each page you will have cut out one card that has the description included in it and one card without the description.
- You will also cut out the separate description tag, which is used for sequential matching.
Montessori Resources and References to learn about Nelson Mandela
Mandela’s life’s work has been celebrated for decades and has brought hope to people and countries around the world with the hope of peace and reconciliation. While he has receded from public view over the past few years, this hasn’t stopped people from paying tribute and celebrating his life as an icon of our modern times.
The Montessori Materials above will take one on a journey through his life and the cornerstones of his philosophy.
In 2008, a social media movement was created to create a Nelson Mandela International Day on July 18 to honor his life and celebrate his work. The mission of the day is fairly unique. It asks participants to work for 67 minutes to support a charity.
The Mandela Day campaign message is simple: Mr Mandela gave 67 years of his life fighting for the rights of humanity. All we are asking is that everyone gives 67 minutes of their time, whether it’s supporting your chosen charity or serving your local community.
Mandela Day is a call to action for individuals – for people everywhere – to take responsibility for changing the world into a better place, one small step at a time, just as Mr Mandela did.
In 2009, the day was officially adopted by the United Nations.
If you are considering covering Mandela for a Montessori lesson or presentation, here are some resources to save you research time.
For videos, Search – C-SPAN Video Library for Nelson Mandela videos and interviews and YouTube search, though many of these are tributes. Look for interviews, speeches, talks, and presentations to narrow the search.
Biographies of Nelson Mandela for Montessori
- BBC News – Mandela’s life and times
- Nelson Mandela Biography – Biography’s Black History – Trivia, Timeline, Photos
- Nelson Mandela (president of South Africa) — Britannica Online Encyclopedia
- BBC NEWS | Africa | Audio slideshow: Nelson Mandela
- Nelson Mandela hero file
- Nelson Mandela Biography from Who2.com
- Nelson Mandela | Who’s Who South Africa
- Short Biography Nelson Mandela
- Nelson Mandela | The Elders
- Biography: Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela
- BANGLADESH World News: Life History of Nelson Mandela (biography)
- ‘Mandela’ by Peter Hain book review from Africa Magazine Online – ReConnect Africa
News Stories and Editorials on Nelson Mandela for Montessori
- Nelson Mandela TIME Magazine – stories about and by Nelson Mandela
- John Harvard’s Journal, November-December 1998 – Nelson Mandela “Mandela and Annan, What the World Needs Now”
- Nelson Mandela News and Photos Archives from the LA Times
- Nelson Mandela – An International Tribute for a Free South Africa by myrockdatediary – personal tribute and memories
Interviews, Speeches, and Documentaries with Nelson Mandela for Montessori
- CNN Transcript – Larry King Live: President Nelson Mandela One-on-One – May 16, 2000
- Nelson Mandela – IMDb
- Frontline: The Long Walk Of Nelson Mandela
- Nelson Mandela: Inaugural Address Transcription from University of Pennsylvania – African Studies Center
Nelson Mandela Organizations, Foundations, Museums, and Archives
- Nelson Mandela Foundation
- Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund (Canada)
- Nelson Mandela – 20 years of Freedom Visual History Archive
- Nelson Mandela – Biography – Nobel Prize Awards
- Nelson Mandela’s Charity Work, Events and Causes on Look to the Stars World of Charity Giving
- Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund
- Nelson Mandela Museum
The social web is alive with concerns of the world towards this iconic humanitarian and honouring his recent passing. It also says something about the man and his impact on that world, that so many would care to Tweet, blog, report, and Facebook about someone they’ve never met and yet were touched by his legacy.