Montessori Spooning beans Presentation
21/2 to 3 years
Two identical bowls, beans, spoon, mat and tray
picture of the materials
Spooning beans from the left bowl to the right bowl.
Refining fine motor skills, working from left to right, developing concentration, and developing pincer grip, eye convergence, eye hand co-ordination, patience..
1. Invite the child to begin Work Cycle.
2. The child places the tray on the mat in front of the adult.
3. The adult pushes the tray to the top edge of the mat.
4. Remove the bowls one by one from the tray to the mat with the dominant hand in fluid movements ensuring the full bowl is on the left. Remove the spoon from the tray and position in front of the bowls.
5. Grasp spoon in pincer grip with thumb on top and fingers wrapped underneath.
6. Position spoon over the left bowl and dip tip of spoon into the bowl and scoop up some beans.
7. Move hand over to the right hand bowl lowering head of spoon. Gently release beans into the empty bowl.
8. Repeat procedure until only a few beans are left in the bowl.