Montessori Pouring beans Lesson Presentation
2 ½ to 3 years
Two identical jugs, beans, tray and mat.
Pouring beans from the right hand jug into the left hand jug then from left jug into right jug.
Concentration, eye–hand co-ordination, patience, hand control, eye convergence.
- Invite the child to begin Work Cycle.
- The child places the tray on the mat in front of the adult.
- The adult pushes the tray to the top edge of the mat.
- Remove the jugs one by one from the tray to the mat with the dominant hand in fluid movements ensuring the full jug is on the right.
- Grasp the handle of the jug with the index and middle fingers of the right hand. The right thumb is placed on top of the handle.
- Stabilise the underside of the jug with index and middle fingers of the left hand.
- Gently tilt and pour.
- Replace on mat.
- Repeat for other hand.
- Replace jugs one by one on the tray ensuring full jug is on the right.
- Place tray on centre of mat.
- Invite the child to have a turn.
- End the work cycle.
CONTROL OF ERROR
Noise of spilling of beans.
- Use of smaller grains i.e. as rice.
- Pouring into smaller jugs, containers.
- Picking up (with fingers) spilt beans/rice.
Different types of beans, rice.