AREALanguageAGE5 – 5.5 Years
To introduce the blue reading cards.
To practise reading 3 letter phonetic words.
To Build vocabulary
- Invite the child to get a table mat. Tell the child that we are going to work with the “sh” phonogram box.
- Show the child the “sh” on the lid. Tell the child that when we put a S and a H together it makes a new sound, “sh”.
- Open the box and place the lid beside it.
- Remove the pictures from the box and tell the child what the pictures represent.( this is a shed, this is a shrimp, and so on)
- Lay the cards horizontally across the table from left to right.
- Take out the word cards, reminding the child what new sound we are working with for the day.
- The child sounds out the word and places the card below its corresponding picture.
- He continues matching all the cards.
- The Montessori Directress then invites the child to sound out and read all the cards from left to right.
- The words are collected in order from left to right and the pictures are collected randomly.
- Tell the child that he/she can work with any of the other phonogram boxes but to come and ask you what the new sound (visible on the lid), is.
- Replace the box and end the work cycle.
CONTROL OF ERROR
The card does not match the word.
Use the same method for all the other green phonogram box activities