View these videos below for a simple explanation of how the card materials are used in the Montessori Method and what there purpose is.
Presentation 1 – Matching
- Place the labelled set at the top of a mat, starting with the full colour picture.
- Briefly discuss each card as you place them down.
- Ask the child to match the unlabelled set of pictures to the corresponding labelled set.
- Then match the first label to the corresponding picture.
- Show the child how to move along from left to right until you find the corresponding card.
- Invite the child to match the remaining labels to their corresponding cards.
Presentation 2 – The 3-Period Lesson
- Use 3 unlabelled pictures, 1 known and 2 unknown (the known picture will always be the natural colour picture)
- This is presented in a 3 period lesson
- Briefly discuss and name in the first period – remembering to isolate. Ask the child to repeat each word.
- In the second period ask the child to, “Show me…”. After the child has identified them correctly, shuffle the cards around and repeat the process as many times as necessary. Spend a great deal of time in this period.
- In the third period isolate each card before the child each time asking the child, “What is this?”
- Consolidate by reminding the child of the lesson learned.
Presentation 3 – The Reading Child
- Place the unlabelled set of pictures at the top of the mat.
- Read the first label and match it to its corresponding picture.
- Invite the child to read the remaining labels and match them to their corresponding pictures.
- Once the child has matched all the labels to the pictures use the labelled set as a control of error by placing them under their corresponding picture (the child can help you match them).