Montessori Washing a window Presentation
4 -6 years
A window in the classroom that is at the correct height for the child ,plastic mat, bucket, jug, liquid cleaner, squeegee, drying cloth.
1. Invite the child to begin the Work Cycle.
2. Show the child where the equipment is kept.
3. Ask the child to bring the equipment over to the window.
4. Unpack the equipment on the floor mat in order of use.
5. Ask the child to collect water in the jug up to the water line.
6. Pour this water into the bucket leaving a little in the jug for cleaning up with.
7. Pick up the bottle of cleaner. Unscrew the bottle and drop a few drops of liquid into the water.
8. Using your dominant hand, place your hand in the bowl and swirl it around to mix in the liquid.
9. Dry your hand.
10. Pick the squeegee up in your dominant hand and dip this into the soapy water.
11. Shake off any excess water over the bowl.
12. Show the child how to clean the window in vertical lines from the top to the bottom, firstly with the sponge part.
13. Use the reverse side with the rubber blade and again in vertical movements, from top to bottom, clean off the lather to leave a clean window.
14. Use the cotton cloth the wipe off any bits of water or any streaks.
15. Once clean, show child how to pack away by throwing the dirty water into the bucket. The child throws remaining water from the jug into the bowl, swirls it to clean it and throws this into the bucket too.
16. Show the child where to throw the dirty water in the bucket.
17. Pick up the drying cloth, dry all the equipment, and return the work to the bucket.
18. Invite the child to have a turn.