Montessori Sandpaper Continents Globe Lesson Activity for Ages 3 to 6
2 ½ – 6 years approx.
MONTESSORI ACTIVITY OBJECTIVESTo introduce the child to the locations of the continents. To prepare the child for work with the continents globe (coloured globe)
MONTESSORI MATERIALS:Montessori Sandpaper Globe
- Work Mat
CONTROL OF ERROR:
The rough sandpaper continents versus the smooth ocean.
The continents are all slightly raised so that the child can feel the relief as well.
- Ask the child to watch how you carry the globe to the table. Show the child how to carry the globe to the table with one hand supporting the base and the other supporting the globe.
- Place the globe.. on the table on the work mat.
- Remind the child that our world is made up of land and water but the land on this globe is represented by the sandpaper. This is called the Sandpaper Continents Globe.
- Say “ the land is divided into different parts and we call these parts CONTINENTS “
- Invite the child to feel all the continents.
- Do a brief three period lesson. Let the child show you a large continent; a small continent; the ocean
This is an individual exercise done on the table on a work mat.