|NAME OF MONTESSORI ACTIVITY ||Art Step 5 – Learning the Names of Famous Paintings |
|AREA ||The Arts |
|AGE ||3 – 9 Years |
|MATERIALS || Art Step 5 Materials (The children learn the names of a few very significant paintings that are widely known by their titles. There are identical pairs of cards with one set (the control cards ) which bears the name of the painting and the name of the artist. The second set is blank but has a loose label bearing the name of the painting and the name of the artist.) |
|DIRECT AIM || |
|INDIRECT AIM || |
- Visual discrimination
- Appreciation of great art
|PRESENTATION || |
- Remove the control cards from the level 5. These are kept in the left-hand folder.
- Lay the first set out in a vertical or horizontal row.
- The second set of cards and labels are kept in the right hand side pocket.
- Begin with a folder from an artist that you have previously spoken about.
- Place the control cards in a vertical row saying each artist’s name out aloud as well as the name of the painting, as you handle each painting.
- Remove the second set and place each one besides the identical painting.
- Remove the name cards and select each artist’s name and the name of the painting, by consulting the control set. Place each name card below the painting.
- When the layout is complete, point out to the child that each pair of paintings and names are identical.
- Invite the child to have a turn.
|CONTROL OF ERROR ||The cards are not matched |
|EXTENSIONS || |
|VARIATIONS || |